Hey, I am Simon Barnes, I founded Unique Social Care back in 2017 when I realised that there was a massive, nationwide requirement to improve the quality of care provided to services users.
What’s important to me…
- Good care – this should be a given in any care service.
- My family are really important to me and keep me very busy.
- My work – doing my job well!
- Being self-critical and getting feedback from others, so I can assess what I do and how I can improve.
- Being open & honest and hoping people around me respect me enough to do the same.
- Making sure that what I commit to I do.
- Being organised – not always possible, but I try.
- Open-minded – and again hoping others are likewise.
- Trying to empty my Inbox; daily as far as possible. Ensuring effective communication.
- Ensuring that I speak with my colleagues and people we support each day; I find this identifies any issues very early on.
- Taking time out for myself and travelling, even if it is just for a weekend.
- Being me!
What people like and admire about me…
- I am always open and honest.
- I make myself available to people.
- I have a great sense of humour and like to have fun.
- I am knowledgeable.
- If I get it wrong I’ll tell you I’m wrong.
- I am decisive and even-handed.
- I finish what I start.
How best to support me…
- Always treat me with respect and you will get the same in return.
- Don’t call me for non-urgent issues if I’m on-call or not at work.
- If you come to me with a problem; also have some solutions – be proactive!
- If I’m unclear, ask me for clarity; this way we all know what’s happening.
- I try to be supportive and generous with my time, but my time is a precious resource, so please respect it.
- Always be open and honest with me.
- Feel free to disagree with me and let me know if you think I’ve got it wrong, but in return allow me to tell you also.
- Sometimes the best way for me to communicate is to get straight to the point – please don’t be offended by this; we are all here for the same reason.
- Keep me informed and up to date; don’t leave a problem ‘bubbling’ away as I can’t do anything about it if I don’t know – a problem shared…….
- Don’t gossip – if you want to know something …… ASK!
- Keep smiling…. I usually am!